BITUMINOUS MATERIAL PAVING MACHINE (BMPM)
MARINE TRANSPORT (ROLL-ON/ROLL-OFF (RO/RO) PROCEDURES)
Equipment Conditions -- Continued
Bolt-on screed extension kit removed (WP 0015)
1. The Bituminous Material Paving Machine (BMPM) may be transported on the following types of marine
a. Roll-On/Roll-Off (RO/RO)
b. Break bulk (general cargo)
Barge carrying (LASH and SEABEE)
2. This Work Package (WP) describes how to load and unload machine onto vessels using RO/RO procedures.
3. At all times, the machine's movements are under the overall control of the RO/RO vehicle director. Loading
and unloading is accomplished by following the vehicle director's traffic control pattern.
4. Machines are loaded by moving them from dockside to the appropriate level and hold onboard ship. Once
parked, crews secure machines for shipping. Unloading is accomplished by moving machines from onboard
ship to dockside.
5. In order to accomplish RO/RO, the machine must operate up and down ramps. The grade of the ramps will
vary, depending on the tide and the weight of the ship at the time of loading or unloading. Ground guide
assistance is mandatory when operating on ramps (FM 21-60).
6. In order to ensure the safety of all personnel involved, the machine's operator must be familiar with all RO/RO
regulations and procedures.
END OF TASK