When a paver has been out of service for a lengthy period, such as during the Winter months, be sure to
clear the hopper of all items such as shovels, tools, and personnel before starting the engine! Under
certain conditions rust will build up on feed clutch surfaces to the extent that slat and screw conveyor
movement will take place even when both Feed Switches are OFF. As soon as the rust wears away, operation
becomes normal. Always start the paver after a long shut down with the main clutch disengaged, track
switches at BRAKE, both Feed Switches OFF, and the hopper cleared.
Main Electrical Panel
REVERSING DIRECTION OF SLAT CONVEYOR TO RELIEVE JAMMED OBJECT
1. Remove cover of main electrical panel on the front of the engine to expose the paver wiring. (See
2. Connect a jumper wire between terminals No. 45 & No. 46 at any convenient point. (This eliminates
the function of the limit switch on the transmission.)
3. Start the engine and run at IDLE speed.
4. Shift the transmission Direction Lever to REVERSE. (The limit switch opens but the circuit remains
unbroken due to the jumper wire.)
5. Move the appropriate console switch for the conveyor involved to the MANUAL position just long
enough to move the slat conveyor in the reverse direction and release the jammed object. Do not run it longer
so that the chain starts to ride-up on the sprockets due to reversed tension. The slat bars can also catch on the
return rails if the chain happens to be quite slack.
6. Stop the engine. Shut-off all power and remove the jumper wire.
VIBRATOR OPERATION WITH PAVER STOPPED
Whenever it is desirable to operate the vibrators when the paver is stationary, proceed as follows:
1. Disengage main clutch.
2. Shift transmission into FORWARD gear. (This will close the circuit limit switch.)
3. Set engine throttle switch to FULL.
4. Set one of the two track switches to TRAVEL.
5. Set vibrator switch to ON.
IMPORTANT! When test operating the vibrators, set the screed bottom on a flat surface with no
stones or similar objects under it so that the bottom is not scored and scratched as the bottom