HYDRAULIC GOVERNOR AND INJECTOR RACK CONTROL ADJUSTMENT
Fig. 1 - Hydraulic Governor Mounting
Fig. 2 - Hydraulic Governor Controls
The hydraulic governor Is mounted between the blower and the rear end plate as shown in Fig. 1. The vertical control
link assembly is attached .to the governor operating lever and the bell crank lever on the governor drive housing (Fig. 2).
After adjusting the exhaust valves and timing the fuel injectors, adjust the governor as follows:
1. Disconnect the vertical control link assembly from the governor operating lever.
2. Loosen all of the injector rack control lever adjusting screws.
3. While holding the bell crank lever (on the governor drive housing) in a horizontal position (full-fuel), set the No. 3
injector rack control levers on each bank to full-fuel.
4. Position the remaining rack control levers to the No. 3 control levers.
5. Remove the governor cover. Discard the gasket.
6. To determine the full-fuel position of the terminal lever, adjust the load limit screw to obtain a distance of 2" from the
outside face of the boss on the governor sub-cap to the end of the screw.
7. Adjust the operating lever (on the governor) so that it is horizontal, or slightly below (as close as the serrations on the
shaft will permit) when the shaft is rotated to the full-fuel position, or clockwise when viewed from the front of the engine.
8. Loosen the lock nut and adjust the length of the vertical link assembly, attached to the bell crank lever, to match the
full-fuel position of the governor operating lever and the injector rack control levers. This length should be
approximately 6-5/16". Tighten the lock nut.
9. With the governor operating lever held in the full-fuel position, turn the load limit screw ((Fig. 1) inward until the
injector racks just loosen on the ball end of the control levers, to prevent the injector racks from bottoming.
10. Release the governor operating lever and hold the adjusting screw while tightening the lock nut.
11. Use new gaskets and install the governor cover and the valve rocker covers.